- Project status
- Marcello Morciano
- Institution web page
- Host institution
- The University of Manchester, UK
- Team members
- Jonathan Stokes, Alex J Turner, Sharvari Patwardhan and colleagues at the University of Manchester.
- Funding information (if funded)
- Part-funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Applied Research Collaboration for Greater Manchester; the NIHR School for Primary Care Research (SPCR-2014-10043, grant ref no. 474); the NIHR Policy Research Unit in Health and Social Care Systems and Commissioning (PRUComm, PR-PRU-1217-20801).
- Project Summary
We use nationally representative administrative data to describe the impact of COVID-19 among residents in the English care homes and the financial viability of the sector.
Using data from all care homes in England we estimated overall excess deaths and by care home characteristics: setting type (nursing or residential home), client types (offering services for people aged 65+ and/or people with dementia or offering services to children and adults), ownership status (whether not-for-profit – charity/NHS/LA-run homes – or for-profit), whether known to be affiliated to a large provider/brand or independent, and classification according to their registered maximum bed capacity (small, medium and large). Using data from the Capacity Tracker and CQC we’re examining how care home ownership and local care market structure are associated with the probability of experiencing and dealing with COVID-19 outbreaks in the English care homes.
- Outputs / Expected Outputs
first paper available on medrxiv: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.11.20229815v1.full.pdf, (media coverage: the Daily Mail : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/17/care-home-deaths-first-covid-wave-may-10000-higher-reported/ ; Daily Express P5; Daily mail Page 1 and 2 and https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8955633/Care-home-bosses-urge-ministers-protect-nursing-centres-sued-just-like-NHS.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490; Daily Telegraph P9, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/rapid-testing-for-care-home-visitors-by-christmas-as-excess-death-research-suggests-up-to-10000-more-residents-may-have-died/ar-BB1b3uB8. Evidence provided to the Social Care Working Group (19 Jun 2020). Cited in https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/897497/S0343_Care_Homes_Analysis.pdf
- Project website
- https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/en/researchers/marcello-morciano(f4952779-6cc5-496d-a181-351ff636e1be)/activities.html https://www.arc-gm.nihr.ac.uk/projects/care-home-marketplace-GM
- United Kingdom
- Care setting
- Care homes/LTC facilities
- Funding type
- Cost and other financial impacts | COVID-19 Infection rates | Deaths
- Secondary data analysis
- People living in care homes