This site contains articles, guidance and resources to support those involved in Long-Term care during the COVID-19 outbreak, from any countries. Posts are added as materials are received and categorised by topic and country. A summary of the measures identified, internationally, to reduce the impact of COVID19 on people with care and support needs is … Continue reading

Article summary: Preventing the spread of COVID-19 to Nursing Homes, Evidence from a Singapore Geriatric Centre (Tan and Seetharaman)

A letter to the editor of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society by Li Feng Tan and Santhosh Seetharaman, published on the 26th of March. Tan and Seetharaman report that, at the time of writing there had not yet been any case of transmission in nursing homes in Singapore. The letter outlines some of … Continue reading Article summary: Preventing the spread of COVID-19 to Nursing Homes, Evidence from a Singapore Geriatric Centre (Tan and Seetharaman)

Early evidence on preventing spread of COVID-19 in care homes: isolation of residents and staff who are symptomatic vs. suspected of COVID-19

Adelina Comas-Herrera, CPEC LSE The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US) tested 76 (93%) residents in a skilled nursing facility where there was an outbreak of COVID-19. They found that 23 (30%) residents tested positive. Of these, 10 (43%) had symptoms on the date of the test. The remaining 13 (57%) were asymptomatic. 7 … Continue reading Early evidence on preventing spread of COVID-19 in care homes: isolation of residents and staff who are symptomatic vs. suspected of COVID-19

Webinar: COVID-19 Information for Long-term Care Facilities (COCA, CDC, United States)

Hosted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (COCA) provides regular calls/webinars related to public health emergencies, and are currently focused on COVID-19. This recording from 17 March focusses on COVID-19 in long-term care facilities. https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/calls/2020/callinfo_031720.asp

Report: COVID19 and long-term care in Spain: impact, underlying problems and initial measures

By Miguel Ángel Manzano, independent researcher and editor of the blog Llei d'Engel There is growing evidence that COVID19 is having an enormous impact on the long-term care system in Spain. Older people’s services are particularly affected, although the impact also extends to other services and groups. There are no official statistics on the numbers … Continue reading Report: COVID19 and long-term care in Spain: impact, underlying problems and initial measures

Report: The importance of migrant caregivers in the Austrian Long Term Care system highlighted by the COVID19 outbreak

By Kai Leichsenring, Heidemarie Staflinger, Annette Bauer The Covid-19 outbreak is highlighting the fragility of European Long Term Care (LTC) systems at all levels. In Austria, where live-in migrant care workers significantly contribute to safeguarding the LTC system, all levels of government are currently struggling to address the delicate balance between legal and social issues … Continue reading Report: The importance of migrant caregivers in the Austrian Long Term Care system highlighted by the COVID19 outbreak

Understanding and Responding to Changes in Behaviour in People with Dementia During the COVID-19 Pandemic (NHSC Trust, UK)

The Northern Health and Social Care (NHSC) Trust serves a portion of the population in Northern Ireland. They have created 'Supporting Carers and Care Staff to Understand and Respond to Changes in Behaviour in People with Dementia During the COVID-19 Pandemic', which may be downloaded at: https://t.co/2T4gD8ZDNP?amp=1

COVID19: Providing palliative care for the many

By Annette Bauer, CPEC LSE Palliative care has an important role to play in the response to Covid-19, in order to ensure that people who are dying do so in dignity and pain free. Sadly, this includes people who – under resource constrains – might not be prioritised to receive intensive care. Difficult decisions will … Continue reading COVID19: Providing palliative care for the many

Webinar: ‘Ensuring continuity of care in times of crisis’ on 1 April 2020 (European Social Network)

The European Social Network supports the design and delivery of social service across Europe. They are hosting a webinar titled "Webinar: ‘Ensuring continuity of care in times of crisis’ on 1 April 2020 with an international perspective; registration is available on the website. https://eurocarers.org/ensuring-continuity-of-care-in-times-of-crisis-webinar/