Jenni Burton is a clinical lecturer and specialist registrar in geriatric medicine, based at the University of Glasgow. She is passionate about improving the utilisation of data to improve understanding of the needs of those living and working in care homes and inform evidence-based policy making.
Before COVID, Jenni’s work focused on improving the use of routine data to better understand pathways into care. She is a co-applicant on the NIHR-funded DACHA Study around developing a minimum dataset for care homes.
During the pandemic Jenni has been combining research and frontline clinical work, analysing the impact of the pandemic on people living in Scottish care homes, estimating the impact of the pandemic in terms of years of life lost, and developing very practical resources to improve the communication between clinicians and care homes.
She tweets as @JenniKBurton
This conversation, with Adelina Comas-Herrera, was recorded on the 19th of January 2021.
IF you would like to find out more about Jenni’s work, here are some links:
- NHS Lothian Care Home analysis: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhl/article/PIIS2666-7568(20)30012-X/fulltext
- Public Health Scotland analysis of Hospital Discharges: https://beta.isdscotland.org/media/6224/2020-10-28-discharges-from-nhsscotland-hospitals-to-care-homes-report.pdf
- Frontline best practice for supporting residents in care homes with COVID-19: www.vimeo.com/carehome/covid
- Assessing and managing older care home residents in acute and emergency care settings: www.vimeo.com/covid/acuteandemergencycare
Infographics and plain text available to download from: www.gov.scot/coronavirus-care-home-guidance
- Impact of COVID-19 on care home mortality and life expectancy in Scotland (pre-print): https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.15.21249871v1
- Closing the UK care home data gap – methodological challenges and solutions: https://ijpds.org/article/view/1391
- DACHA – Developing research resources and minimum data set for care homes’ adoption and use: http://dachastudy.com/
- Public Health Scotland COVID-19 statistical report, including vaccination data: https://beta.isdscotland.org/find-publications-and-data/population-health/covid-19/covid-19-statistical-report/
- TURAS Safety Huddle Tool, overview: https://learn.nes.nhs.scot/34427/turas-care-management-user-guides