The SRF (Swiss radio) published an interview on how a care home in Switzerland is supporting residents in communicating with their relatives while they cannot receive visitors and how the institution addresses potential COVID-19 infections and end-of-life questions in a situation where residents may not be able to go to hospital with residents and their families.
- The institution supports residents in connecting with relatives via Skype or Facetime
- The institution wrote to relatives encouraging them to discuss the illness and potential consequences with the resident
- The difficult decision whether to transfer a sick person to hospital is usually made together with relatives, however, a transfer to hospital may not be possible if a resident develops COVID-19.
- In the case of an infection the institution would speak with the resident, their relatives and the family physician as well as consult the advance directive.
- Palliative care was emphasised to ensure that those affected do not suffer from pain or difficulties with breathing.